Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Court of Mist and Fury- 5 Stars


In a book this long, the writing has to be fantastic. And it was. Maas managed to weave more current phrases (i.e. "I don't give a shit.") with a more classical, almost lyrical writing style that comes off as both realistic but fanciful. I loved it. The characters are introduced at just the right times, and I felt as if I knew them without huge info dumps about them. Settings change, but the transitions are smooth and seamless.

We have our "Big Three" throughout the story. Tamlin, Rhys, and of course, Feyre.
Tamlin- Though he didn't play a bog part, he played a huge role, if that makes sense. He wasn't in much of the book, however, without him, Feyre never would have gone with Rhys, so he was nonetheless important. He was quite delusional and probably paranoid with Feyre, though I understand his worry. I could even forgive his smothering her in the beginning if it weren't for his betrayal at the end. Was he truly delusional enough to believe she wanted to leave her true mate to go back to him, whom she'd run from? I guess so. Eager to see how they do in the next book.
Feyre- Ever the bad ass, I can understand why she felt so oppressed with Tamlin. However, I didn't expect her to be with Rhys, regardless. She proves herself among his friends/comrades, which I did expect, and did so quite well. She's gritty and doesn't give up, which I admire. 
Rhysand- Surprised me throughout this book again and again with his softness, of all things. He's still dangerous, of course, but vulnerable with Feyre as well, which we learn at the very end. He has lost of secrets, but I know that he would share them with her, and I look forward to see that happen.
Rhys's Council/Family- A tough team for sure. Azriel was probably my favorite, but I always go for the damaged ones. I think he could have a story of his own all about how he grew up. Amren is definitely a force to be reckoned with, and I am hoping that Rhys unleashes her, maybe even on Tamlin to get Feyre back, but I have a feeling he would save it for something more. Mor is lovely, but still bad ass. She has a nice duality about her, like she could be your very best friend, or kill you if you look at her wrong. I adore her.

So many ups and downs and betrayals through this book. Of course, there was a lot of book. The book really picked up with Feyre left Tamlin at their wedding and moved to the Night Court with Rhys. It never stopped from there. There were a good amount of battle scenes, which were all wonderfully done with great detail. My personal favorite was the one with the ice wolves.I would have loved to have seen that! There were also a few sex scenes, which earned the "adult shelf" label for me. They definitely bumped this up from YA. Rhys, Feyre, and his little gang travel quite a bit in the story, but it's smoothly done and didn't feel jumpy at all. The end was a surprise for sure. Tamlin's betrayal was something that I never would have seen coming, though I did wonder when he would pop back up in the story. He never would have just left Feyre without a fight and he pulled quite a trick to her back. Big cliffhanger at the end, and I can't wait for the next book.

A wonderfully written story. Very vibrant and detailed. Characters came alive and the setting never got dull. There was always something new to discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Corrupt

Corrupt by Penelope Douglas My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews